What’s with All the Silk Hype?! Why I’m Swapping Cotton for Silk & Why You Should, Too!
Thanks to Covid, one thing I really started paying attention to in 2020 was #SelfCare. Minor changes to my routine have made monumental impacts on my daily health and overall well-being. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying buying a silk pillowcase will change your entire life overnight, but don’t underestimate what you can do after a good night’s sleep – the kind where you wake up feeling RESTED and REJUVENATED and ready to tackle the day!
Since my self-care routine for 2021 is partially centered around me ensuring I’m getting the best night’s sleep possible and am allowing my body to recover when it needs to, Blissy has been a game changer for me.
Silk has forever been a beauty insider’s-secret, but lately, it has been picking up a ton of mainstream traction. I’m sure you’ve been served countless Ads for silk-this or silk-that and you’ve probably clicked to check it out, but still aren’t completely sure what all the hype is about or if it’s right for you. I was skeptical at first, too, but once I got my first Blissy silk pillowcase in November of 2019, not only did I never look back, but I started looking for ways to replace more of my cotton essentials with silk.
Luckily for me, Blissy now sells a variety of 100% Mulberry silk products on their site, in an even wider range of colors, including a brand-new pastel tie-dye print!
So, what the heck is “Mulberry” silk anyway? What does “22 MOMME” even mean? And is it worth the money? I had all of these same questions when I was considering my first pillowcase, so let me break it all down for you.
First of all, what is Mulberry Silk and why is it so expensive? Since silk is an all-natural fiber, it’s much more expensive than man-made fabrics like satin or polyester. Mulberry silk threads are smoother, stronger, and more uniformly colored than any other variety of silk - a single silk fiber is stronger than a steel fiber of the same diameter!
Silk quality is graded A, B, or C, with Grade A being the best. Grade A silk is the highest quality long-strand silk from cocoons that are pearly white in color. Silk grades are also further differentiated by number; Grade A silk comes in A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A, with 6A being the highest and finest quality silk. For any given type of silk, Grade 6A is the finest quality available in the marketplace. Hint hint: Blissy pillowcases are made with 6A Grade silk ;)
Before we move on, there’s one more detail to understand before making your silk purchase – that’s the weight of the silk, also known as “momme” (sometimes abbreviated as mm). Momme is similar to thread count, which is used to measure the weave of cotton sheets. Mulberry silk pillowcases range from 15 momme to 30 momme (remember, Blissy products are 22 momme 6A grade silk).
Now that we have a little more understanding of what silk is and know Blissy brand uses only the best materials out there for their products, let’s find out what the hype is all about!
Some key benefits that really hyped me up, were:
- Zero friction means no wrinkles on your skin when you wake up! (Yes, you actually notice a difference)
- Since silk is naturally hypoallergenic and protects skin from irritation, it’s great at keeping my eczema flare-ups at a minimum, especially during Winter!
- I recently started a high-end skincare regimen, which actually recommends sleeping on silk after using the nighttime hydrating cream. The cream soaks into my skin, rather than getting absorbed by my cotton pillowcase.
- Speaking of those higher-end habits – one of my biggest issues with cotton pillowcases (or sleeping masks) has always been how rough they are on my lash extensions, particularly in the Winter months when they’re already falling out like crazy. This is HUGE for me for a couple of reasons: 1) I get terrible anxiety going to get my lashes filled. I don’t like lying there with my eyes closed for that long and considering we’re in a global pandemic, I try to go as little as possible. Since using Blissy, I typically go every 3rd or sometimes 4th week, rather than every other week! And 2) to extend their life because we all know, those bad boys aren’t cheap.
- Machine washable is a plus for me! We have 2 giant dogs, so everything in our house has to be somewhat durable and being washable is a MUST. For some tips on how to wash silk, check out this helpful link via Tide.
- Zip closures keep my pillows in place and the tiny zipper is so hidden that you don’t ever feel or see it. I prefer the zipper closure to French seams because I tend to move a lot when I sleep and my pillow always finds a way to start creeping out of those other cases.
- ALLERGIES! My allergies are pretty wild in Vegas, especially when the seasons are changing, but since I’ve been sleeping on silk (about 18 months), I’ve noticed a drastic reduction in the amount of allergy pills I find myself taking, if I even take them at all. Seriously… I stopped taking my prescription allergy meds and now only take OTC pills on an as-needed basis!
So, now that we know what silk is and what some of the benefits are, let’s check out some of the other Blissy products and see which ones you need to implement in your life! :)
If you’re new to silk and are still a bit skeptical, I’d recommend trying one of Blissy’s cheaper products first. I highly recommend looking into their sleep masks, especially if you want to get a feel for what the brand is like. They’re currently on sale for $39.95 and come in all the same colors as the pillowcases (matchy-matchy!) The sleep mask should give you a good feel for how their silk feels, how heavy it is, how it makes your skin feel and how durable the product is!
Other Blissy products I love and use daily:
SCRUNCHIES: I love these because I can tie my hair back without leaving any kinks. They’re also incredibly soft and silky with no seams or hard glue to get stuck in your hair. They are also made with a flat, inner elastic band, which keeps them from sliding around (and leaves less kinks!) I love to use these during bath time because I can tie my hair back with humidity present and when I’m done, I don’t have to re-wash or re-style my hair. Another personal favorite perk of these scrunchies? They fit comfortably around your wrist! I haven’t lost ONE (yet) because I can keep it with me at all times without having to worry about it cutting the circulation in my hand off!
FACE MASKS: if I have to wear a mask, it might as well be silk. These are fairly inexpensive and they’re still just as soft as the other products, but they are a bit on the thinner side. I’ve found that it’s best to use these over an N-95 mask! The ear straps are adjustable, so you can get the perfect, most comfortable fit every time!
SLEEPING MASK: as mentioned above, the sleeping mask is a great investment. I use it for a variety of reasons, but I tend to use it most when I’m dealing with my monthly drama (ugh!) It’s great to keeping a tiny bit of pressure on your temples, which seems to help with the headaches and anxiety that come along with my monthly endometriosis flare-ups. Plus, it’s DARK, which means you might actually be able to drift off into a nap state (an actual dream, am I right?!)
At this point, I’m a silk junkie and can’t get enough. I mean, my husband even splurged and wrapped up some silk pajamas for me for Christmas because I literally cannot get enough! It’s the SOFTEST, most breathable and most LIVEABLE fabric.
Since I now know my face cream isn’t just soaking into a cotton pillowcase anymore, I wash and hydrate my face more often than ever before. My skin looks cleaner, softer and more evenly toned than ever before and the dark circles that have haunted the corners of my eyes since my teen years have finally started to lighten!
I no longer feel like I’m fighting an invisible force – trying to tame my frizzy hair, rushing to fill sleep lines in with extra moisturizer and foundation… oh, and the fact that I don’t find all my lashes all over the pillows anymore is a gigantic plus!